PLEASE NOTE: At this time we are not accepting new volunteers – a new policy implemented by the university has resulted in a decrease in our capacity for new volunteers. You may fill out a volunteer application below and we will keep it on file and reach out when we are accepting new volunteers. Thanks for your commitment to this organization!
Duke Adaptive Climbing is a unique opportunity for hand-on volunteering experience with a dynamic group of climbers. With monthly adaptive adaptive climbs at Triangle Rock Club and Duke University we’re always looking for additional help to support our climbers.
New volunteers will be trained in how to modify general belaying technique for our program and in the use of adaptive techniques to aid our participants. Any volunteer that will be belaying with the program will need to pass a belay check with a staff member, if you don’t already hold a current belay pass for that facility. Previous belay or climbing experience is not a requirement to volunteer with us, although very helpful!
- Must be 16 years or older
- An interest in working with individuals with various disabilities to experience rock climbing
- Ability to work with others, communicate clearly, and maintain
- Maintain a professional attitude
- Climbing experience helpful, but not required
Registering as a Volunteer
- All Volunteers must complete a Volunteer Application
- Please Note: Volunteer applications are only processed once a month, at the end of the month
- Once you’ve completed an application you’ll receive an email from Duke Adaptive Climbing with information to complete the following steps:
- Sign Volunteer Agreement & Activities Form
- Complete a Background Check
- Complete the online Working with Minors Training
- Upon successful completion of background check and online minors training volunteers will be able to register for desired volunteer dates.
- A volunteer training for all new volunteers will be conducted prior to each climb, if you have already been through this training you do not need to attend
There is no cost to you as a volunteer to complete the background check or minors training. The minors training is a short online training conducted by the university.
- Coach, encourage and interact with participants
- Assist with participant climbing equipment needs
- Assist with belaying needs
- Assist with operation of adaptive equipment
- Side-climb with participants to provide assistance while on the wall
- Assist with various participant needs
If you have any questions about volunteering please contact us at email@example.com